Table of contents:
Playing video games is one of the most popular sorts of entertainment in the world. The colorful beeps, booms, and lights captured the imagination of a new era of gamers to the point of obsession.
The World Health Organization introduced the term "gaming disorder" to the 2018 version of their medical reference — the International Classification of Diseases.
What is Video Game Addiction
Video game addiction entails the uncontrolled use of video games or game-related activities, regardless of the negative consequences. Video game addiction is best defined as a medical disorder of impulse control.
Gambling has added to the addiction of video games. Therefore, some people with gaming issues may have gambling problems at the same time.
Causes of Video Game Addiction
Researchers aren't sure of the reasons behind video game addiction; however, video games encourage the release of pleasurable neurotransmitters, including dopamine. This acts as the reward center for the brain. Dopamine is launched during the course of activities that most people find comfortable, including eating and taking certain pills.
The action of playing creates a sense of fun that makes the player repeat the action as much as possible.
Gamblers may retreat to fantasy worlds to get away from their problems and uncomfortable emotions in actual life.
The Mechanism of Formation in Video Game Addiction
Below are the structural changes in the brain that lead to addiction of video games:
1. Muted pleasure response — Everyday pleasures are no longer satisfying; life does not fulfill you like a game.
2. Hyper-reactivity to games — Everything else is boring, but games are really fun.
3. Erosion of will — Due to changes in the brain. If you try to quit, you may have no motivation to do so.
These changes help clarify why moving on from gaming can be so tough.
Stages of Video Game Addiction
The three levels of video game addiction are:
1. You play video games for numerous hours, and you have fun.
2. You play video games for several hours; however, you don’t have as much fun. At this stage, games still help improve your mood.
3. You play video games for several hours, but you don’t have fun, and they don’t enhance your mood anymore. Moreover, you cannot stop playing them because the player lacks willpower.
Symptoms and Signs of Video Games Addiction
What begins often as harmless fun becomes an addictive and compulsive recreation that takes control of the player's thoughts and body. Younger gamers frequently miss out on crucial schooling and important social developments, even as older players are much more likely to have strained relationships and issues with their employers.
Everyone is unique; each gaming disorder can vary in severity.
Treatment Options for Video Games Addiction
Treatment for video game addiction is like other addictions. The available approaches are:
1. Counseling and conduct change are key tools to help with video game addiction. Individual and family counseling collectively is the most effective treatment tool.
2. Cognitive behavioral remedy allows a patient to change their thoughts, feelings, and in the long run, behavior. Techniques include goal setting and then mastering those goals to address the thoughts that trigger compulsive gaming.
3. Holistic methods can be incorporated into treatment to aid overall healing, both physically and psychologically. These methods include an emphasis on nutrition, physical activity, meditation, sound therapy, breathing, experiential therapy, and natural therapy.
Medications help achieve recovery from addiction more quickly and comfortably by relieving anxiety, improving mood, and stabilizing the nervous system. Anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants are most commonly used in the treatment of video game addiction.
Psychotherapists seek to help patients understand how playing video games affects school or work, emotions and moods, and a sense of life purpose and appreciation.
Undiagnosed depression and anxiety disorders have been associated with signs of video game addiction in adults. If patients can get help for these problems, often in the form of medication, they have a better chance of overcoming their gaming addiction.
At our rehab for video game addiction, we include medications in our program when appropriate.
Inpatient Treatment vs. Outpatient Treatment
Inpatient treatment is best for patients who need to be away from their environment for some time to recover. We provide a treatment center that offers group therapy, individual counseling, and a gaming-free setting.
All of these programs are designed to make patients feel safe, comfortable, and supported as they begin their healing journey.
Inpatient care allows patients to relearn wholesome coping skills in fixed surroundings. This type of therapy offers the best chance of recovery.
The outpatient program gives extra freedom to patients, who are allowed to go back home at the end of every session. This structure permits patients to keep commitments to work, school, friends, and family. Another bonus of outpatient programs is that patients can benefit from a supportive community while not having to disclose to colleagues or fellow students that they are being treated for addiction.
Process and Stages of Video Game Addiction Treatment in VipVorobjev Clinic
Video game addiction treatment at our clinic includes the following steps:
1. Diagnosis of addiction and related diseases and dependencies (anxiety disorder, OCD, alcoholism or drug addiction)
2. Development of a treatment plan
3. Medical and physiotherapy treatment
4. Group and individual psychotherapy
5. Follow Up and aftercare programs
Can Video Game Addiction Be Overcome on its Own
Trying to beat video game addiction through complete abstinence is not an effective strategy. With the support of rehabilitation centers, patients will learn to use digital technology in a healthy manner without triggering addictive behavior.
The Average Length of Video Game Treatment
Inpatient treatment offers adequate time for patients to get over addiction. Some people only need a 30-day stay, while others require at least 60 days of treatment. Outpatient treatment can last from 1-6 months. The length of treatment depends on many factors, and the main goal is recovery.
Effectiveness of Video Game Addiction Treatments
A comprehensive approach will remove cravings to play video games as well as treat the source of the addiction. The source of addiction can be from anxiety, insecurity, personal trauma, or other factors. Treatment in a rehab center allows patients to get out of the vicious circle of addiction.
Patents and Certificates
The best acute care for video game addiction patients at VipVorobjev Clinic helps us stand out among other facilities. We are DAACC (Drug, Alcohol, and Addiction Counselor Certified). Our certified and registered addiction specialists will help you begin a new life without addiction.
It doesn't matter what level of video game addiction you're struggling with. We have experts to help you recover safely and successfully. Our addiction specialists use only the best video game addiction treatments.
Cost of Video Game Addiction Treatment
The cost of treatment starts at 5,500 €. Outpatient treatment is a bit cheaper than inpatient treatment.